From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:15:21 -0400
Howdy y'all,

Well, looks like I'll be looking for a new HT in the not-too-distant future.

If I can get the BNC fixed up on my AT-600, that'll surely work for a
while, but I'm sure it won't last forever. But...well, the Icom IC-T81
that I have had a couple years--and that's a pain in the ass to
program unless you're doing it with a computer--decided to die. I'm
not sure if the airport X-ray machine killed it (doubtful, IMO), or
what did, but I went to New York for the week, packing the HT in my
carry-on. Came home, put it in a different bag but didn't use it...in
fact, didn't use it in New York because I couldn't get into
anything. Actually, the last I recall it working was in Cleveland on
last Thursday (the 7th) on my trip to new York...and didn't try again
until today, when it was very, very dead. Thought it was the battery,
so charged it. The spare didn't power it. Neither did the
newly-charged battery. Neither did the crappy wall wart charger that
shipped with it. Yep, it's dead, all right. So, once I get the ADI
worked out, that'll be my primary (well, only) HT...and I'll need to
get at least one battery pack for it, as one of them seems to have
decided some year or so ago not to hold a charge anymore. So, sooner
than I'd planned, I'm gonna have to go looking for an HT. Of course,
I'm not aversed to buying radios! And I really didn't like the
T81. But it couldn't've died at a more inconvenient time. (Isn't that
always the way?) Oh well. So I'm trying to decide if I want the T90
with its odd keypad layout (but spiffy cw readout!) or spend the extra
$70 for the Kenwood TH-F6A. Yeah, I know. We've been round and round
on this list on this dilemma. I'm not deciding today. I'll wait and
decide when I'm actually going to actually buy something. Just
basically writing in to whine.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3    | But I will lay my burden
Email: [log in to unmask]   | in the cradle of your grace,