From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:26:37 -0800
On 16 Jan 2003, at 20:14, Bill Sands wrote:

>  Hard drive replacement: Award bios, Pentium II 333 mhz, 64 meg RAM,
> Iomega zip drive, HP CDrom writer. Monitor, key board and mouse only
> connections (no serial or parallel port connections). No operating system
> loaded. Replaced the bad hard drive with a used Maxtor 6.8 gig using the
> proper install disk and procedures copied from the Maxtor web site.
> Appears to have installed properly.
>
>  Problem: on boot up get an error message - CONFLICT I/O Ports: 2F8
>
>  How do I resolve the conflict?

  You have an internal modem in that machine, configured as COM2.  But the
onboard COM2 port is also enabled, and that's the conflict.  (At some point,
it sounds like the BIOS configuration was set back to its default values.)

  To fix it, go into the BIOS configuration and locate the option to disable
COM2.  This will turn off the port on the motherboard, so it will no longer
conflict with the modem.

David Gillett