From:
Robert Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:06:11 -0500
Bill, You can do what you want and then some. Install the Maxtor ATA100
controller card you mentioned in your other post. Your computer will see it
as a SCSI device. Set the bios so you can boot from SCSI. Get a removable
hard drive tray/drawer for each hard drive. Jumper all HD's as master.
Connect the top tray to the #1 ATA100 controller and the bottom tray to the
#2 ATA100 controller. Connect your CD(s) to #1 IDE controller on the MB.
Disable #2 IDE controller on the MB to recapture the IRQ. Each tray (HD) is
now the master on the ATA100 port it is connected to. The computer will
boot from the HD in the top tray (C:) and if there is a HD in the bottom
tray, it will be D:  Thus you can boot from either HD and, have the other
as a second hard drive (D:) copying files from/to it. I have mixed (W98SE
and XP) in the top and bottom drawers but have kept the same file system
(Fat32) in both. As a bonus, you can use Norton Ghost to clone the top HD
to the bottom HD and you have bootable backup(s) at a moments notice. Get
extra drawer inserts and you can have your drive for AOL, one for your
broadband ISP, one for XP, one for business, one for play, one for the
wife, one for the kids, etc, etc, etc. For the price of a HD (under $60) it
is like having  another computer. I've been doing it for quite a while with
no problems, only advantages.

What you'll need:
2 empty 5 1/4" external bays
1 empty PCI slot
2 HD drawers and a drawer insert for each HD

I guess my ignorance is showing. When I said "dual boot", I meant having the