C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:10:10 -0400
This is going to depend on what your family decides.  I know when I worked
in a nursing home (as a CNA not as an OT), we had people tube fed for a long
period of time. Depends on how well the facility handles the feedings.
You have a tough decision to make with your family.  And I know it's a
touchy subject but, have you called a local hospice to talk with them.
I know one of our local ones is fantastic and even picks people up without
terminal diagnosis in a limited role of consulting with the family.  The
staff are usually very knowledgeable about dementia care.
One of the problems with pegs and g-tubes is they are often played around
with by the person.
I'll try to contact my sister-in-law, she specializes in geriopsychiatric
care and may have some more knowledge than I do.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Beth t the OT

PS. the link wouldn't let me in, I'll try it a different way

Subject: a peg tube for mom?

we are going to consider a feeding tube for my mom who
has dimenchea from parkingson's. she was put on a
liquid diet from pureed food after asperating. she is
still at the hospital with pneumonia. assuming that
she does not get worse from that when she goes back to
the nursing home, it is wanted to have the tube in. my
brothers, sisaters and i will be meeting to discuss
it. from my research, it is not that cut and dried.
mortality is 22 % within 30 days. i am looking at
http://www.virginiageriatrics.org/consult/peg_tube_decisions/pegtubedecision
s.html
. this is virginia commonwelth universities website on
the subject.
  any input from the professionals on the list or
anybody with experience?