C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:11:28 EDT
Yes, I do have a speech impairment but don't need any communication devices.
I speak  better than my mother currently. My main problem is memorization.
Also, I have trouble with multiple-choice exams but if you give me an essay,
I do better. I proved that this semester again by taking test 1 in persuasion
"as is" and received a F (but with extra credit, brought it up to a C-/D+)
and test 2 was changed to essay format and received a B+.

The physiologist who recently tested me stated I was "odd." I had a 1997
report administered with the same results but no strong recommendations.
Also, I don't meet any criteria to have a learning disability label.  Some of
the new conclusions about daily life were wrong and I'm going back in May to
go over the November report.  He said someone else should watch my checkbook
and make sure I have enough food.  Yet, I'm handling my own and my mom's
finances. Also, my mom can't eat regular food, so I do my own shopping.
However, if I need to do several things in one day or over time the Dr said I
may fail. Sometimes I forget but that's why I was taught early on to organize
and make lists. I believe it's the concept of "over time" and repeatedly
doing something new to learn it.  As in a foreign language it's fast and yes,
I can count 1 - 10 in Spanish but even that took a long time.  I didn't speak
until I was 6.  I'm just glad that my appeal went through.

-Dan