C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 05:54:08 -0500
Not funny, but then it's always been the way the armed forces have
recruited their members, by emphasising the glory and patriotism and
the benefits of joining up.  Remember, too, we haven't been at a
prolonged war since Vietham, and I also think the military brass were
a bit surprised at the resistance the Iraqis have put up.

This  is an all-volunteer army who joined up for jobs and training,
not war.  Those who would have been drafted -- if there were one now
-- would be more realistic.  The armed forces wouldn't draft people
unless they needed more people in battle.  And that brings up another
interestng question:  if we were to establish the draft again, would
we include women?  We have women fighting along with men out there on
the battlefield, and I don't think it's fair to the men if women
weren't drafted, too.  Obviously there would have to be exemptions
based on family needs, etc. but it'd be interesting as an exercise in
sociology/ anthropology how the question would be treated now. It
would not be a easy issue, that's for sure.  Sorry, but I tend to
think intellectually as a social scientist on such things, a holdover
from my grad studies.

Kat