From:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:32:25 -0700
Buddy,

Thanks for clarifying just what's being talked about here, and butch, thanks for asking the question in the first place.  You beat me to it.

Sounds like a pretty neat little (or is it little!) box.  I'll definitely have to check this one out.

Don W6SMB
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:03:32 -0400, Buddy Brannan wrote:

Hi Butch,

See
http://www.elecraft.com

Briefly, the K2 is a kit for a modern, synthesized ham-bands-only
rig. Its base configuration is cw only, 80-10 meters, but options are
available for SSB, computer control, 160 meters and second receive
antenna, automatic tuner (with two antenna inputs), a cw audio filter,
a DSP, a 100-watt amplifier (replacement top cover or external--but
will only work with the K2), 100-watt external auto tuner, the
aforementioned band decoder unit and accessibility box, noise blanker,
and now transverters for 6, 2, and 220. The rig is about 15 watts
unless you get the 100-watt upgrade. Starts at $599 with all options
extra of course. Actually, the options and the kit itself are very
reasonably priced, and the receiver gets good performance reviews from
contesters and dx'ers and the ARRL lab...ranking right up there with
the FT-1000MP and Icom 756ProII. I have  friend who prefers this rig
at less than $2,000 fully equipped (minus transverters) to his
considerably more expensive Ten-Tec Omni. cw comes with a memory
keyer; SSB has vox operation of course and speech compressor. The
company's really trying hard to make this unit as accessible to the
blind as they possibly can--the base configuration even allows for
direct frequency entry via a numeric keypad. Oh yeah. I forgot an
option! Internal sealed lead acid battery for portable operation. A
station in a box. Elecraft even has a list of people who will build
your K2 kit for you, and many of these guys will build kits for free
for blind, elderly, and disabled people. Don't rule it out 'cause it's
a kit, nor 'cause it's not made by one of the big three. Many will
tell you there isn't a quieter receiver out these days.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3    | But I will lay my burden
Email: [log in to unmask]   | in the cradle of your grace,