From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 08:52:26 -0400
You'll get very wide-ranging opinions about ZoneAlarm.  For my money (not
much, considering it's free <g>), it's a horrible program and there are
vastly better free firewalls around.  ZoneAlarm is particularly inaccessible
in its later versions and many have even found it difficult or impossible to
exit its dialogs.  I attempted to use it for a while two or three years ago,
gave up in frustration after investing in the supported, commercial version,
switched quite satisfactorily to Norton's firewall offering, and finally
bought a router...at that point, I no longer had to worry about keeping the
firewall aware of new software versions, etc.  A hardware firewall such as a
Linksys router (or other comparable brand) is by far the best firewall
protection you can have and is the least intrusive and maintenance-free.