From:
Steve Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:28:53 -0400
Hi,
That is 'cross banding' and I end doing it here about once a day for one
reason or another.  It worked great when we were in Daytona in a hotel and
the t90a would not reach the local repeaters, so I used the v7a from the car
and cross banded to the t90a up in the hotel room.

It is really simple to do with the v7a.  You can do it either way, that is
having the little portable on 2m, or, 70cm depending on which band the
repeater is you need to reach.

Here is what you do:

First the t90a or portable you are using needs to be on a simplex frequency
on the opposite band from the repeater you want to use.

 on the v7a:

1. lets say, for the sake of example, the repeater you want to use is a 2m
repeater.
Select the uhf band and put the v7a on the same frequency simplex as the
t90a.
2. Push the vhf band selector and set it to the repeater you want to use
just as you usually do.  It does not matter if you use a memory channel for
this, or even the simplex on uhf for that matter as long as you programmed
one in the v7a.
3. Make sure the vhf band has control as you would if you were going to
transmit on it.
4. Push the little button below and between the 2 band buttons on the v7a.
5. Turn off the v7a
6. Remove the mike.
7. while holding in the vhf band button, turn on the v7a again.

That is it.
To return the radio to normal use, repeat steps 5, 6, and 7.

Now, if the repeater is a 440 machine, step 4 would select the uhf band and
the rest of the steps would not change.

Remember, the v7a is going to be working much harder than usual in cross
band mode, because it is transmitting both to the repeater and to the hand
held.  It is also transmitting to your hand held everything anyone else says
on the machine.  So, its transmit duty cycle is going to be much greater
than you are used to in normal operation.  For this reason, choose the
lowest power you can on both bands just as you would normally do so the v7a
will not run as hot and use as much power as it would on full power.
Anyway, you know what I mean.
It really works hard in cross band mode, especially if the repeater is busy.
Hope this helps.

Steve, n4ofl
~~ The days of paying for your long distance
calls are Over!~~
~~Local phone service with,  FREE, Unlimited Long Distance!~~
http://www.freedialing.us
  Why pay for Long Distance  to your friends and family, or anyone else, for
that matter,  if you don't have to???