From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 13:52:20 -0000
Good Morning,

I tried one of these for a while but the one I had was rode hard and put
away wet so to speak and I ended up selling it.  However, the tuning on any
tube amp is about the same.  If your manual has some preset points for
controls, move them to those settings.  For example, it may say for 20
meters, set the plate tune to 7 and the load to 5.  Once you have done this,
turn the output power down on your rig to 20 watts or so.  I'm assuming you
have some kind of tuning aid in the circuit which will peak for max rf
power.  If this is the case, key the transmitter and rotate the tune control
for a peak in pitch.  This indicates resonance.  Now, rotate the load
control for a peak on the tuning aid and repeak the plate.  Unkey and then
run up the power on the transmitter to comfortable drive level.  I can't
remember what Kenwood suggests but I only need to run about 60 watts on my
2000 to drive my little single 3-500Z to full power for that tube.  Once the
power is up, key the amp again and starting with the tune control go through
the process again always ending with the plate tune as the last step.  You
are dipping the plate current when you get peak on the tuning aid with this
control and that is what you want.  Make sure you have experimented with the
tune and load to get max peak on the tuning aid.  It is also a good idea not
to tune for more than maybe ten or fifteen seconds at a time when tuning so
you don't make it hard on your tubes.

Good luck and I'll be reading at work today if I can be of any further help.
Very 73.

Kevin, K7RX :)