From:
Kathy Hubbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 00:32:20 EDT

Dear Listmates:

Thank You to all who replied to my query.  I lost a few replies - sorry! -
but this seems to be a good start.  My friend has no email or internet access
so we're going to try the public computers at the library to investigate
these wonderful resources.

Again, Thanks to all.

Kathy
Middletown CT

****************

Your friend should contact the Coeliac Society in the UK, which is a
registered charity. They publish a food list each year, stating details of
gluten free products that can be purchased from various manufacturers and
stores. They also provide some infomation on hotels and restaurants catering
gluten free.

In general from my own experience, most hotels and restaurants are fairly
good in understanding the requirements of gluten free.

The coeliac society does have a regional manager covering Scotland - contact
details Liz McCorkerall tel + 44 2871357154, e-mail, [log in to unmask]
***************
I would be curious to hear what you find out about Scotland. I have been to
Glasgow and didn't have much trouble. There are still some chain places like
McDonalds, Burger King and TGIFriday. Most hotels serve full Scottish
breakfasts which include eggs, fruit, yogurt, etc. Good luck. It is a
beautiful country.

***********************
SCOTLAND IS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!

We spent most of the Summer in England and Scotland. I only encountered one
weird thing.  I asked for a burger without the bun once and got a deep
fried patty.  The chef was trying to be helpful by making it more
interesting, but quickly prepared me a plain old patty.  The stores had GF
sections and almost everyone was knowledgeable about celiac.
*******************************
scotland is exactly the same as anywhere in the uk for buying gf

foods from the shops.  where will your friend be visiting?  there are

a few scots on the yahoo list that david walland is on, i myself live

in glasgow area as do a few others on the list, and another in kelso

in the scottish borders.  if you are looking for places suitable for

coeliacs to eat and your friend is in the glasgow or borders areas,

we can suggest some places to try.

there are also local branches of coeliac uk in various parts of the

country, so it might be worth contacting any of the local group

organisers in the areas your friend will be visiting to see what help

and advice they can give you.

so if you let me or david know which parts of scotland i can get you

the contact details or you can go via the coeliac uk website. i give

the link below.

http://www.coeliac.co.uk/index_flash.html

**************************************

Your friend should have no problems in Scotland. Most of the UK is fairly
clued up on GF.

For shopping, as well as the health food stores, she should try Sainsburys or
ADSA (Walmart) Supermarkets or Marks and Spencers.

Food labels are either "Gluten free" or are marked "Contains XXXX"

Most decent restaurants will either let you speak to the chef, or will tell
you which dishes on the menu are ok ; there are many chain type
pub/restaurants with set menus. They will have a list of ingredients for each
dish. A senior staff member (ie not a spotty youth) should be able to find it
for you.

Hope this helps - if you need any more specific info, please write.

I should also add that Coeliac UK produce a food list, which is available to
non members for about £5 ($7.50)

******************************

I don't know where your friend is from, so I don't know what she can compare
this to. I find eating out at lunch time almost impossible, as light lunches
are usually quiche, pasta, sandwiches etc. It leads to the inevitable baked
potato. This is OK except that all fillings usually have mayonaise in them
and its not always guaranteed GF, which leaves butter/cheese and plain salad.
Ordering a more substantial meal is easier - chefs are usually pretty
clued-up about coeliac and a direct message to the kitchen usually meets with
understanding. Waiting staff range aren't usually any use except I find
occasionally younger staff actually know someone who is coeliac! Chips tend
to be fried along with breaded items so avoid them. If your friend is staying
in a B&B then she will have to be carefull about a full breakfast as
bacon/sausage/black pudding will probably be fried together so risking
contamination.

If your friend is visiting Edinburgh, a few (a very few) coffee places have
GF cakes (the John Lewis store for one) Henderson's Restaurant in Hanover St
- the oldest veggie restaurant in Scotland and proud of it - is excellent and
will tell you exactly what is in a dish, even checking print-outs, to make
sure it is GF.

Holland and Barrett (Healthfood store) and Tesco's and Sainsbury's

(Supermarkets) all carry gluten free ranges.

You can contact the uk coeliac society (see link below), they could send you

a uk Food List which costs £5 (plus postage) for all manufactured food

products in the UK.