From:
Alice Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alice Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:14:32 -0500

THanks to all of you for your responses. Because there were lots of tips
from lots of people, I just included all of your responses.

Here goes:
I have tried many kinds before CD, and find Fibercon to be quite gentle,

and is gf.  Suggest one at bedtime with lots of water.  If you get up in

the night to go to the bathroom, drink more water then.   Now that I am
gf, and eat better, I rarely need any assistance, but when I do, it is
Fibercon.
-
Drunk more water...keep sipping it all day.
Eat nuts....esp Brasil nuts which are high in GOOD fat...they get things
moving.

Dried fruit and veggie with a "skin" such as broccoli help.....but the
best advice
is WATER!!!!!  LOTS OF IT

-
Just last nite I checked with the manufacturer on ExLax liquid rasberry
creme. It is gluten free.
-
Citrucel is a fiber supplement.  It's not a laxative per se, but is good
if
constipation is the issue.  It is gluten free.
-
        BENEFIBER, FIBERCON, and FREELAX are GF.  I have called the
manufacturer on all.

-
I'm one of the celiacs who experiences constipation,
so I've done a lot of experimentation on the subject
of laxatives. I used to take Perdiem in the yellow
cannister, which contained psyllium and senna (senna
being the natural laxative). Novartis discontinued the
Perdiem granules and replaced it with tablets - they
are not gf.

Since the psyllium and senna worked for me in Perdiem,
I went to my health food store and bought each
separately (Solarary brand - gf). For some reason, the
psyllium irritated my stomach, so I now take only the
senna with a stool softener twice a day. The stool
softener I use is the Rite Aid brand of colace -
$10.00 for 250 capsules.

So, in conclusion, I take two senna capsules (by
Solarary) and three stool softener capsules (Rite Aid
brand) twice a day. Sounds like a lot, but because I
wasn't diagnosed until I was 50, my docs prescibed
tons of laxatives for me in the past, causing a lazy
colon. Don't overdo the laxatives, especially the
chemical brands like Ex-lax. Senna is a
vegetable-based laxative and not so hard on the
system. The combination of senna and stool softener
keeps me pretty regular.

-

When I was diagnosed several years ago the only laxative my which my
Gastroenterologist would allow me to take were the liquid Milk Of
Magnesia
and Haley's M.O. which is essentially the same as M.O.M. with a little
mineral oil added.  (They may not taste great or be delightful to
swallow but
they do work with no caustic effects.)  He expressed that anything else
would
be likely to be too harsh for my system.  There are probably other GF
laxatives that are gentle as well by now however, and I hope you'll get
good
information from other list members.

It is worth mentioning that within a few weeks of beginning to take Flax
Seed
Oil Capsules on a regular basis, I no longer have the problems that I
used to
have in this area.  A great side effect is that it's also helped my
thinking
process and skin difficulties.  I believe this is due to the fact that
it
contains at least three of the essential Omega Fatty Acids which are
proclaimed to be good for the body whole & brain function.  I'm not a
real
vitamin nut either I just know that it has helped me.

-
Hi, I just went through this search.  Our pediatrician recommeded Milk
of
Magnesia, but Philips would not confirm theier product is GF - they
actually
stated on their FAQ that they didn't know what their suppliers used.
After
some searching, we came up with Safeway brand Milk of Magnesia, but you
have
to call their supplier directly to confirm that the specific bottle you
bought is GF (done by lot number on bottle) because there are multiple
suppliers and Safeway doesn't keep track.
I went through the listserv archives and found some info on other
products;
some people on the listserv mentioned Metamucil and Senokot.  Senokot
had
been recommended to us by a GI (agggg!), but the company told us they
could
not confirm that Senokot is GF. Metamucil said only that only particular
products are GF.  I think it was powders only, but don't recall for
certain.

-

Alice Bruce