From:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:50:09 -0500

I have received so may e-mails regarding the article on Suite
101, about the woman who uses crystals to detect "wheat"
in foods, and I feel the need to explain one point.

Several people wrote saying that freedom of speech gives
Alice the right to express her own opinions.  Of course she
may.  But at the same time, when I find blatant
misinformation being presented, I feel the need to try to
correct it--that's my freedom of speech.

If Alice chooses to use crystals to detect "wheat" in foods,
so be it.  But a newly-diagnosed celiac, reading her article,
would assume that wheat is the only ingredient to be
avoided.  Alice says that companies are "poisoning" her;
they are not.  Alice is "poisoning" herself by not reading
labels and by not calling companies regarding ingredients.

If you have been on the gluten-free diet for any period of
time, you can read her letter and shrug it off if you wish.
But a new celiac is desperately searching for information;
reading Alice's letter will give them incorrect information.

Many have gone to www.suite101.com and written to
the website regarding the letter.  I don't know if any
action will be taken to remove the letter.  What is
significant, in my opinion, is that we are striving to
help other celiacs with sound advise and facts.  You
want to use crystals?  Fine.  But read the labels, too.
You want to stay away from gluten?  OK, but that
means more than staying away from just wheat.
And if you find some misinformation posted, is it so
wrong to try to correct it?

Several people sent me copies of the letters they wrote
to the website and to Alice.  Most were conscientious
and presented in a courteous manner.  Two were
extremely sarcastic and rather rude.  It doesn't help our
cause to be offensive to others.  I think we can accomplish
far more by presenting our case in a logical, factual, polite
manner.

Thank you for listening,
Connie Sarros