From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 09:53:03 -0700
On 24 May 2003, at 8:14, Gus Clouse wrote:

> When I boot up my computer I receive the message, "No ISDN Devices were
> found. Please install an ISDN Device and run the configuration wizard
> again."  I just click ok and everything seems to run fine.  What does
> this message mean (what is an ISDN Device and what is its purpose)  and
> do I need to install an ISDN Device and where would I find one.  Thanks.

  ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) was the first attempt by phone
companies to build something like DSL.  It wasn't very successful, largely
because the service itself (let alone the connection device!) was rather
expensive.  In some parts of the country, though, this is the only practical
alternative to analog dial-up.

  For some reason, your PC believes it has been configured to use this
service, but somehow it can't find the "modem" that it would need to connect.
  Installing such a device, even if you can find one cheap, is not the right
way to fix this....

  I'd look at your networking configuration, especially anything dealing
with remote access (RAS, RRAS).  If you find an entry that refers to an ISDN
connection, delete it, and that will probably correct the problem.

David Gillett