Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 23:46:28 +1100
From: "A&C Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 10:58 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Firewall Purchase and Installation

> > the subject, but when we talk firewalls, we are talking physical
hardware, not software, correct?

Normally, when talking about firewall, both hardware and software firewall
are on the table.

> don't know what info you may need to answer my questions, but I have a
simple 2 machine intranet.
> One connects to the net, the other does not. I would like to configure
both to share an Internet
> connection.
>
> 1. I have a cable connection using a Terapro modem, which is rented. If I
purchase a firewall, what
> other cables/components will I need, and what does the installation
involve? Will I still require
> the Terapro?

Yes, you need to plug the modem to the firewall router.

> 2. If I successfully install a firewall, can I get rid of Zone Alarm
altogether, and if so, how am I
> protected from hackers?

No, you should never give in on security.  This is a lesson people don't
want to learn the hard way (but almost always learn the hard way, I for one
knows a very sad but true story).  Hardware firewall is for keeping things
coming in, and ZA is for keeping things going out.  Also keep in mind that
you need to update firmware on hardware firewall just like you need to
update software firmware in order to keep the protection up to date.

> 3. Are there specific brands one should consider, or are they all pretty
much alike?

They are not the same sadly.  One important "feature" you must consider is
the level of support.  As I said before, hardware firewall do need to keep
their firmware up to date (bug fix, security update ...).  I'd stay with big
names and be sure the one you get offers firmware update if there is
something goes wrong.  You may pay few $ more, but better be safe than
sorry.

Jun Qian

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com