From:
"Ryan E. Schutte" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:48:41 -0600
I build computers and the last package of OEM Windows XP that I purchased
(both Home & Pro) have Service Pack 1 integrated in to them already.  I
have always installed service pack 1 as soon as I finish installing windows
anyway, so I figured this wasn't any big deal.

The first two computers I have built with the service pack 1 integrated in
to the CD have caused me problems, has anyone else had this
problem?  Anyone know a fix?

The computers work fine for about the first 24 - 36 hours, then they just
quit booting.  On the Home Edition computer, I did get an error message
about lsass, then it rebooted itself and repeated this in an endless
loop.  The Pro version, doesn't give you any error message.  The Pro one I
timed and the Windows splash screen stays up for almost 4 1/2 minutes, then
the screen goes black for about 20 seconds, then it reboots itself.  Safe
mode and safe mode with command prompt also reboots itself, though much
quicker - less than two minutes.  Logged, last known good configuration and
debug mode all act the same as normal startup.

Both of these computers worked great while I was installing
everything.  The first one that messed up, the Home edition, I had a
problem with a modem in another computer I had just set up, so I put it up
on the shelf to test the modem right before I delivered it and this
happened.  On the Pro edition computer, since this had just happened the
night before on the home edition, I tried turning it on and off at least 3
dozen times, installing software, deleting things, etc., etc.  It worked
great everytime - I figured the Home edition was probably just a
fluke.  The last few times I turned on the pro edition at my store, I just
turned it on and back off, just to be sure.  About 2 hours after the last
time I turned it on at the store, I delivered it and went to set it up.  I
turned it on, and it wouldn't boot - the scenario I gave above.

Has anyone else ran in to this problem?  Does anyone have a fix, or even
some idea of something else I can try?

Computer configurations below (these are about the same as I always build,
and haven't had any problems until SP1 - except I have only installed two
of the previous systems with NTFS)

Home Edition:
    Installed on NTFS (Reformatted and installed on FAT32 now, and appears
to be working - however, it's only been 24 hours)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMLS Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    256 PC133 SDRAM (Kingstaon ValueRam)
    40GB 7200rpm 8MB Cache Western Digital Hard Drive
    250W Power Supply
    Cnet 56k v.92 modem
    Onboard Video, Sound, LAN
    LG Electronics 48X24X48 CD-RW
    Additional Software:
       MS Works Suite 2003
       Norton Antivirus 2003
       MusicMatch Jukebox
       Winamp
       All Microsoft Updates

Pro Edition:
    Installed on NTFS (Currently having the problem, haven't reformatted -
looking for a 'fix' instead of reformatting)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKML Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    512 PC2100 DDR SDRAM (Kingstaon ValueRam)
    80GB 7200rpm 8MB Cache Western Digital Hard Drive

--
Ryan E. Schutte
Owner - KawreS

KawreS - The SuperStore for all your needs and prices that you will love!

The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at
doing what they most enjoy. -- Malcomb Forbes