Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:01:09 -0400
Fredrik Murman wrote:
> Phosphor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> so what is the downside of alcohol?
>
> I don't think there are any downsides if you have the
> character to drink it in moderation

Just to be clear and to set the record straight, I feel it's important that
people realize that most researchers in addiction science have rejected the
old idea that alcoholism is a psychological problem of character or lack of
will-power, in favor of the biogenetic hypothesis that alcoholism is a
medical disease with biological and genetic causes. Alcoholism is clearly
inheritable in humans, and strains of rats have been bred that prefer
alcoholic water over plain water. Obviously questions of character and
will-power do not apply to rats.

I think a glass of wine or two with a full meal is healthy for most people,
but those who find themselves craving more alcohol after a couple of drinks
are probably carrying the genes associated with alcoholism and should not
drink at all.

-gts