Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:48:40 -0400
To those several of you who commented to my post about life expectancy in
the US since 1900, arguing that the dramatic increase was from reduced
infant mortality:

I was not arguing that the increase in life-expectancy was not largely from
reduced infant mortality. I was arguing that it was from advancements in
medical science, which of course led to a major reduction in infant
mortality.

Most children in first world countries are born in hospitals now and seen by
pediatricians during childhood, rather than being born with only the help of
a mid-wife on a farm with no access to vaccinations and antibiotics and
other advantages of modern medicine.

I realize there are some purists here who disapprove of antibiotics and
perhaps also vaccinations, but the truth is that on balance these non-paleo
things have saved and extended a lot of lives.

It is thanks to modern medicine that infectious disease is no longer a top
health-related cause of death for humans as it was not long ago in history
and as it almost certainly was in paleo times. Heart disease and cancer are
now our biggest obstacles to longer life, but this is mainly because
medicine has largely solved the problem of infectious disease. After we
solve the heart disease and cancer problems, our next priority is to
preserve and protect the central nervous system against neurodegenerative
diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Incidentally, I am a long-standing dues-paying member and customer of the
Life Extension Foundation (www.lef.org). Life extension is really my main
focus. I manage and moderate another discussion group called "Longevity" on
which I often advocate the paleodiet to people who have no knowledge of it.
I would love to see people from this discussion list join the Longevity
discussion list. The Longevity list is for people interested in any subject
related to proper diet, nutritional supplements, hormone supplements,
medicine or any other subject related to health and longevity.

Basically I am a lone voice in the wilderness whenever I advocate paleo
diets to my subscribers on that list. I argue that the paleo diet will
improve both health and life-expectancy. It would be great to have some
supporters there!

If the Longevity discussion list sounds interesting to you then please just
send a blank email to:

This will subscribe you automagically.

Thanks.

-gts (Gordon)