From:
Maddy Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:32:46 EDT
I believe the "gall bladder flush" involves drinking large quantities of
apple cider for a specified number of days, then some combination of oil and lemon
juice on the day of the purge. I have read many reports of this process being
quite successful. On the other hand, I've read accounts of people who had
stones get stuck in major ducts during the expulsion, and wind up having
emergency surgery in what can become a life-threatening situation.

My somewhat progressive thinking gastroenterologist explained to me that the
gall bladder is merely a storage pouch for the bile that is produced in the
liver. If the gall bladder becomes so stuffed with stones and sludge, it can
become virtually non-functional (as in my own personal case). Nevertheless, with
proper diet (as in Paleo!) the body compensates, by continuing to produce and
release bile as needed. Before Paleo, I was very, very sick, with a laundry
list of serious digestive complaints. Currently, I have NO digestive symptoms
whatsoever, except some rare bit of mild indigestion if I indulge in a bit too
much "junk". Even then, it is not the typical gall bladder pain/sickness I used
to suffer from.

Since I trust this doc. more than most others, I asked him his opinion about
whether I should have surgery. He said although all tests indicated surgical
removal would be appropriate, if it wasn't bothering me, to just leave well
enough alone. So that's what I've done, and it's worked fine for me for over 3
years.