From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:29:14 +0100
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:50:15 -0500 Ray A <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Anyway, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) are fruits from the
>Americas. Sweet potatoes are vegetables (tubers) that have been eaten by
>people in Africa through Polynesia for about 100,000 years. So, I guess
>that sweet potatoes (at least some kinds of sweet potatoes) are
>more "paleo" than nightshades.

Eggplants are actually not nightshades, they have been associated with
nightshades by mistake (given the part of their name "solanum").
They are relatives to squash, cucumber and melons. And they are not of
american origin.

Sweet potatoes are sometimes called yam in USA, but the yam eaten in
Africa is *not* a sweet potato. The sweet potato is of american origin.

>nightshades are fruits and evolved for
>something to eat them.

The most common nightshade food, potatoe, is not a fruit as you know.
The potatoe fruit is very poisonous, not suitable for any animal to
eat. Do not trust the idea that all fruits are intended to eat!!!

- Hans