From:
"Laurie B. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:37:07 -0500
I feed whole brown flax seed to my laying flock (brown flax is said to be more nutritious than golden flax).  It makes for scrumptious eggs.  The hens' custom made feed contains generous amounts of fish meal, so supplementing it with flax seed does the same or actually better than the commercial eggs sold as high-EFA, low cholesterol eggs.  Because my hens get outdoors to walk around, and get LOTS of fresh veggies and fruits to eat, as well as fish and flax in their feed.

I buy feed at a custom feed mill about an hour away, and a 50-lb sack of fresh brown flax seed costs me $12.50/bag.  If you are not feeding lots of flax seed to everything on the plavce, it freezes beautifully in ziploc bags

I have to get the blender repaired, but I simply blenderize some flax seed when I want it for the dogs or myself (I mix it with their pureed veggie meals, and add some wild salmon oil for flavor).  Chickens can eat whole seeds, yet there is never a recognizable seed in their "output", so obviously, they can digest whole seeds beautifully.  I haven't CHECKED the dogs or myself, but am assuming that freshly ground flax seed is easier for mammals, and the best for freshness.

If there is a feed store near you, ask if they can order in a bag of flax seed for you.  What I buy is always immaculate, and frankly looks like the same stuff that is sold for VERY high prices per lb at the HFS.  I would rather pay 25 cents/lb and be able to afford plenty of it.  What I buy isn't certified organic, but most of my food isn't except what I grow myself.

-- laurie brooke adams (Mother Mastiff)  mastiffs at mindspring dot-com
 ***If a DOG could choose whether to just be beautiful, or to be sound
      and healthy TOO, what do YOU think the dog would choose?***
(C) 2003   My words are my own.  If you want to use them, ASK ME FIRST.

Exchequer Leghorns, Welsummers, several lines of Marans, some with feather legs
Chicks only, accepting reservations now for 2003