NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Colleen Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:28:48 -0500
lactose is the milk sugar, not the milk protein, so lactose in an of itself should not be a problem for your son.  The proteins, casein and whey, however, will be a problem, as you know.Colleen Barrett> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:04:01 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: any thoughts on prescriptions containing dairy?> To: [log in to unmask]> > Just a question from a curious parent, as my milk allergic child is nowhere> near ready to start popping pills but Singulair was offered for his asthma.> > Is the lactose a problem for those with lactose intolerance (which I totally> understand) or also for those with the milk protein allergy (which my kid> has)? This particular hiccup never occurred to me and I must thank the> original poster for mentioning this. This is valuable information for> future prescriptions for my son!> > > > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Eric Schlesinger <[log in to unmask]>> wrote:> > > Well, my Dad was research Director for Schering for a long time, and he> > warned me about the lactose in many, many pills - including and> > especially (in his opinion) multi-vitamins, where it's used to separate> > layers of reactive vitamins from one another. It's cheap, easy to get,> > and very very inert. However, I've never heard that pharm-grade lactose> > was advertised not to have LI or allergic effects - all I ever knew was> > that it was purified so that there were no contaminants (minerals and> > such) that might impact or interact with any of the desired effects of> > the medications. My Dad certainly believed that it would cause> > reactions in me.> >> > Weavre Cooper wrote:> > >> > > Loratadine ... Singulair ... regular Advair ... and sooo many others ...> > I'm> > > sure it drives my pharmacist and doctors nuts trying to find substitutes> > for> > > all the pills that contain lactose.> > Loratadine is a generic name for what used to be Schering's Claritin.> > Allavert 24-hour tabs (no water required, if you can stand the taste)> > have not had lactose for a long time, while most of the other OTCs do.> > However, they have a new flavor out, and I've never checked that one.> > >> > >> >> >>
http://biggestloser.msn.com/