BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 07:03:27 -0400
Ruth Barton wrote:

>I love cows, but not that breed.  We have borrowed some for the summer to
>keep the pasture down.  Now we have a little calf.  I love cows.  Ruth

I may love cows also... just that there is not enough room on our
mini-estate in the unHamptons to board them. We got in enough trouble
keeping chickens. The cows you see in NYC are made of fiberglass and
they are painted all sorts of different colors and patterns. Long Island
is not known for cows as much as white Peking ducks. The only time I get
to see real cows is at the State Fair.

So I heard a story yesterday about a farmer on Nantucket island, the
last farmer there it seems. He grows and sells tomatoes for $5.00 a
piece, all original Nantucket tomatoes. He approached the local
government and told them that if they did not want the last farmer on
Nantucket to sell out to condominium developers that they could pay him
$25M and he would continue farming and selling expensive tomatoes. This
is similar, I suppose, to selling air rights in Manhattan... only it
must be called Condominium Rights (we should check with Peter Gray on
this terminology).

I was also informed that any NEW construction on Nantucket has to be
made to look like it is historic as it is the histo presto content of
the built environment that aids in supporting the local economy.
Historic Condominium Rights in faux finish. I suggest a good Masters
Thesis would be a survey of EIFS (not to be confused with ELVES or
NYMPHS) on Nantucket.

I've also run across the term "mooncussers." Seems the locals on
Nantucket island enjoyed having merchant ships wreck on their shores,
for the bounty of plunder, and that they would cuss nights of a full
moon. They were resistant to the installation of lighthouses.

I also understand that the majority of the trades people live on the
mainland and that they commute via air each morning to the island.

][<en