BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:17:32 -0500
I always thought CAPS were shouting.  Looks it to me.  Bold looks more
like dramatic intonation.  And your German looks like German.  All is
right with the world.

-jc

On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 05:42  PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> In a message dated 8/2/2003 3:36:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> Please Ralph.  Spare me the details.  Normally covered anotomical parts
> and geometric shapes don't belong in the same sentence, let alone
> hyphenated into a single word. "hyphenated into a single word..."  now
> THAT sounds like German, i.e., the famous
> Donaudampfschifffahrtliniegesellschaftsgeneraldirektoriumsgemählerinnen
> .   Except of course there are no hyphens.
>

> Some exhibit I saw up Nort pointed out that no one seems to make much
> of a fuss about the headwaters of the Ohio, or the Missouri...both of
> which are arguably more significant than the Mississippi, in terms of
> volume or commerce, beyond the points where they seperate from the
> lower Mississippi.  So I got to wondering...where ARE the headwaters of
> the Ohio, the Missouri, the Hudson, the Connecticut and them other big
> rivers?  Can you have your picture taken sitting in the middle?  Are
> they small enough that if Ralph were to sit in the middle it would
> wreck the downstream economy?  Ralph is getting big enough without his
> thyroid juice so that downstream (or upstream) economies may be
> wrecked in any case, no matter where in the river I sit.
>
> Or maybe those other places have other things to worry about...like
> botschafts.  A Botschafter can also be an ambassador, which is the
> sense of the word with which I was familiar, and why I was more than a
> little confused to see (along with the rest of you) that Lisa had a
> Botschaft (which I initially took to be "an embassy") for Cuyler.
>

> I trust this matter has now been sufficiently clarified.
>
> On a related note, I am advised by a left Coast correspondent that use
> of bold face in an email is considered to be shouting.  From having my
> knuckles rapped (so to speak) early on by a Pinhead masquerading as a
> nun (or vice versa), I understood that use of all caps was considered
> shouting.  Will somebody please explain?
>
> Ralph

John Callan, Architect, Inc.
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
784 Deerwood Circle
Lino Lakes, Minnesota  55014-5433

(651) 486-0890