BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 07:45:41 -0500
Pam, Ralph, Steve,

The closest I'm getting to what I thought I meant is,

"withe (2) or wythe or tier (USA) One leaf of a cavity wall or hollow
wall or a half-brick thickness of a wall bonded into solid brickwork."
-Penguin Dictionary of Building.

If I am not correct, I might be sort of accidentally almost accurate in
this instance...since I was describing a rubble stone wall that was
only two stones thick, and one could infer that each stone was half the
thickness of the wall.  Damned smart-assed college boyz.  No mason or
would have caused me to go looking up a word I learned in the field
from some guy who picks up stones, smears a little mortar and places
the stone without a whole lot of supervision from linguists.

Still, I suppose I'll have to backdown and substitute another word or
description.  Funny though.  The point that the wall is kind of
insubstantial and may not survive much longer if someone doesn't keep
up with the repointing is getting lost in the discussion of the meaning
of a word.

-jc

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 07:27  AM, Stevenson, Pamela wrote:

> John -
>
> I went to dictionary.com (cuz my paper one is packed away in office
> stuff), and there's no mention of thicknesses.  There is an
> architectural reference, on which ][<en may be able to elaborate.  The
> site sent me to withe (which the spell checker doesn't like, BTW.
> Kept correcting it to "with".
>
> withe
>
> \Withe\ (?; 277), n. [OE. withe. ????. See Withy, n.] [Written also
> with.] 1. A flexible, slender twig or branch used as a band; a willow
> or osier twig; a withy.
>
> 2. A band consisting of a twig twisted.
>
> 3. (Naut.) An iron attachment on one end of a mast or boom, with a
> ring, through which another mast or boom is rigged out and secured; a
> wythe. --R. H. Dana, Jr.
>
> 4. (Arch.) A partition between flues in a chimney.
>
> - Pam

John Callan, Architect, Inc.
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
784 Deerwood Circle
Lino Lakes, Minnesota  55014-5433

(651) 486-0890