BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:32:03 -0800
Photography is a subject about which I know next to nothing although I have
been fascinated with it since I was a child.  I guess it's natural enough,
there seem to have been photographers in my family since the early
beginnings of photography.  I had a gr gr granduncle who went south during
the Civil War and photgraphed.  I think he went as a commercial venture,
all his photos seem to be of people in camp--no battles that I have found
at least.  Some of his pictures were used by Ken Burns in his documentary.
There have been succesive photographers in the family since until this
generation.  I don't know of any currently.  When I was about 12 I got
interested and got a starter kit for developing my own film.  I never did
get to an enlarger so all the pictures I did are the size of the film.  My
Mom was not crazy about this hobby as the only place I had to do it was the
kitchen which made it very inconvenient and could only be done at night
when it was dark.  I'm so glad I did it though as I have found pictures of
the barn that burned in the late '50s among my stuff.

Now we have a Minolta that my husband bought second hand from another guy
in Korea in the late '60s.  Over the years I have bought various lenses to
go with this camera.  Neither of us have the slightest idea what we are
doing with the thing but seem to be able to get passable pictures anyway.

When I bought this computer 3 years ago I bought a digital camera at the
same time.  I have NO idea how to use the thing.  Both of the boys can take
pictures with it but it totally escapes me.  They say it's easy, just do
this but I think I'm too hung up on doing something wrong.  I don't even
try.  It is an Olympus, I don't see it being especially lightweight.
Things sure are different than when I got my first Kodak Brownie.

I sure do blab a lot this morning don't I?  Ruth

Westminster, VT