BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
make easy -- get sakcrete <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 21:42:23 -0800
Chris,  I'm truly impressed!!!!!!  How long did it take you to find out all
that about that building?  Do you take requests?  My grandmother had a
nephew who was a real odd duck, he lived and died in NYC.  He died in 1966
or 67.   How would I go about getting his death cert?  NO gang, I'm NOT
going down there to get it.  I would, however, like to have a copy if it is
possible.  Thanks for any advice you could give me,  Ruth

At 5:36 PM -0500 12/2/02, Met History wrote:

....this article, from The New York Times of December 1, 2002, will be of
interest to those doing New York City research.    But if it simply waylays
someone who would otherwise be posting annoying, double-spaced one-lines,
then it will have accomplished a noble purpose.
----Christopher Gray

STREETSCAPES
Reader's Question Researching the Past of a Lower East Side Tenement
By CHRISTOPHER GRAY

Query: We are home schooling our daughters and for our social studies unit
this fall have decided to try to find out what we can about our building,
237-9 Eldridge Street, on the Lower East Side. About five years ago we were
doing some renovations and found in the walls a pamphlet for the Max Kobre
Russian Bank, offering services like rail and ship ticketing, and some
envelopes inscribed in pencil "Shapiro" and "Isat Shapiro." Would you have
any other suggestions for us, or advice on where we might begin? . . .
Rachel Andreyev, Manhattan.

Answer:    For many buildings in Manhattan built in 1866 or later (1868 in
Brooklyn, 1874 in the Bronx, 1898 in Queens and Staten Island) a researcher
can use the Department of Buildings' fax-back buildings information system
to zero in on the construction date. Dial the department's main number -
(212) 227-7000 - and press 2 and then 3 to get to the information system
and then the property profile overview.
--
Ruth Barton
Westminster, VT