From:
"Helen A. Berger" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:21:49 EST

I want to thank everyone who responded to my query.  A number of people wrote
to say that they have been to Costa Rica and that it is a relatively easy
country for those of us who are gluten intolerant to eat. They noted that
much of the food is fresh fish, meat, and vegetables and that one can get
rice and beans for every meal including breakfast. They also commented on how
kind and helpful people were to them when they were traveling there.  This
was very reassuring to me on my first trip away from home as a diagnosed
Celiac.

Several people suggested places to get the foreign language cards I
requested:

"Search the archives. There are restaurant cards in a variety of languages.
The Spanish version (that I just pulled up for our upcoming trip to Costa
Rica):

La portadora de la presente padece un problema en su intestino. NO ESUNA
ALERGIA, por tanto es importante tener precauciones con susalimentos. DEBE
EVITAR siempre trigo, avena, cebada, centeno asi comoharinas en cualquier
forma; aceites que hayan sido utilizados paraempanizados u otras comidas;
vinagre, espesadores productos enlatados (nosalsas de tomate CASERAS) quesos
y productos lacteos procesados (aditivospreservativos etc,), pastas o te de
hierbas. Se recomienda lapreparacion de los alimentos de la manera mas
sencilla posible, comopescado o carnes asadas, huevos y frutas. Su ayuda es
muy importante yaque la vida de la persona corre riesgos. SE AGRADECE
INFINITAMENTE SUCOOPERACION. UNA VEZ MAS GRACIAS"

Go to www.hometown.aol.com/zoeliak/index/htm You can download cards in
several languages  [I tried this and I was unable to find the cards--the
problem may be my search skills and not the site]

GIG in Seattle, WA has such cards. They have English (laminated) and Spanish
(card stock) for $1.50 each plus shipping and handling, and some other
foreign languages on paper that are free. You might go to their website
www.gluten.net or call them at 206-246-6652 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. PST.
[I ordered from here they were very kind and helpful]

CSA has restaurant cards in many languages in the back of its Commercial
Gluten Free Products book. The cost is about $10 or $11.
Their phone # is 402-558-0600

One person sent me the note she had made up for her own trip to Latin
America:

Tengo una intolerancia de "gluten" (una proteina de harina de trigo). Esto
significa que no puedo comer harina de trigo o cualquier otro producto de
trigo.

NO puedo comer: SI puedo comer:

Pasta                            Carne
Pan                          Pescado
Pasteles                            Vegetales
Pan dulce                        Frutas
Cerveza                      Patatas
Cualquier salsa con harina       Arroz
Nada que contenga cerveza            Maiz
Nada que sea frito con harina    Leche, crema
Nada que contenga pan   duro (en Queso
ensaladas, salsas, o Cualquier otro producto que
cualquier otro plato) no contenga harina de trigo
Nada que contenga pan rallado

I will report back when I return from Costa Rica and let you know how the
trip went. Thanks again both for the information shared and the support given
in preparing for this journey.

Helen
Boston