RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 06:31:17 -0500
Lance,

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:54:29 -0500, Lance H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Cordain makes a plausible case that early man relied heavily on animal
>brains and bone marrow, scavenged from the leftovers of carnivores who
>lacked the weaponry to crack open skulls and large bones.

I attempted to make the point previously that such behavior should not be
assumed to be indicative of what's optimum for human health. Another way of
putting it: what man did/does, is not necessarily what's optimum for man to do.

>Brains are high in omega-3 fats

Flax seeds are the richest source of omega-3 fats that I know of, and
they're a plant food. Other plant sources that contain substantial amounts
of omega-3's include hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts. Fresh green
plant foods (leafy greens, grasses, etc.) also contain omega-3's, albeit in
smaller amounts in comparison to the nuts/seeds, but which become of more
substantial significance when greens are eaten in sizable quantity.

>and bone-marrow is high in mono-unsaturated fat.

Mono-unsaturated fat is abundant in nuts and seeds. Avocados are
particularly rich in it as well.

>Fortunately, for those of us who do not relish raw brains & marrow, our gut
>is flexible enough to source the nutrients elsewhere.  I agree that this
>would be difficult on a purely vegetarian diet.

Omega-3's and omega-9's (mono-unsaturated) are easily obtainable from the
above-mentioned plant sources. Whatever nutrients that are of value in
animal-source food are likely something other than those particular nutrients.

Regards,

Wes