From:
Dave Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:04:56 -0600
I would recommend a router/firewall combination to meet the internet sharing
requirement. It is much easier to use one of these for your setup than
trying to do it all through WinXP. I've have used several of the Netgear
entry level router/firewall combos, and also one from 3Com, and they have
all been very satisfactory in similar environments. Be aware that some
models are limited to a small number of users (I think 5 is the smallest I
have seen), so you want to select a model that will handle the expected
client load.

The sticking point that I see in your requirements is the Mac. If it needs
to access the network shares, I think you have to use Windows 2000 server. I
don't think WinXP has support for Mac clients natively, though there may be
some 3rd party solutions out there. If the Mac doen't need access to the
network shares, then the rest of it is a piece of cake ;)

Good luck,
Dave J