From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 23:28:07 -0700
--- gts <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> "Eat only those foods to which you are genetically
> adapted, where =
> genetic
> adaptation is defined as having occurred before at
> least approximately =
> 12
> thousand years ago, at the end of the Paleolithic
> and before the dawn of
> agriculture and animal husbandry."=20

I think this is a pretty good rule, though I think a
caveat should be added for things that were
unavailable during the paleo era. I'm thinking of
alcohol partly but generally of "new foods" and
processed things as well as pharmaceuticals. It would
make sense to say that these items are suspect, but
not necessarily forbidden, i.e. assumed to be
dangerous until shown to be generally safe. The FDA
has a label, GRAS (generally recognized as safe), and
there could be a paleo label of that kind. :-) There
are of course new foods that are similar to things we
are accustomed to. There may also be things which we
are not evolutionarily accustomed to, but which may
have benefits nevertheless. I assume that something
like royal jelly is not paleo, because it's so
painstaking to produce, but it might (perhaps) be good
for us nonetheless.

http://calendar.yahoo.com