From:
"Paul M. Feldman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:54:01 -0500
Allow me to chime in.

I have experience with Canon, Brother and HP laser printers.

Brother is usually a price leader.  The problem is the parts:  they are
hard to get and very expensive.  A technician showed me how a part on a
Brother machine had been copied from the HP machine.  However, the shaft
was round on the HP but the Brother had a square shaft.  This meant that
the rollers that had to be replaced could not be obtained from HP but had
to be Brother parts.  Brother, were they costly.  (Pun intended).

The other issue is the toner cartridge.  HP, with its dominant market
share, means that there is a much bigger market for re-charged
cartridges.  To give an example:  the new cartridge for an HP 5 runs about
$140.00 (Canadian).  I get re-charged cartridges for $60.00 that are as
good as new, last longer (more ink) and are guaranteed by supplier.

Experience has taught me that HP are more durable and far cheaper over the
long haul.  You might pay more initially but the cost of toner, repairs and
the longevity more than outweight the additional cost going in.

Paul M. Feldman

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com