From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:14:23 -0400
> Hi folks.  I was thinking of getting one of those blood glucose meters
> that diabetics use and using it to check my blood glucose levels after I
> ingest various foods and combinations of foods.  I guess the point would
> be to confirm which foods/combinations make my glucose levels soar and
> avoid them in the future.  Dumb idea?

You can do a lot of testing and spend a lot of money on test strips only to
find out just about everybody else has uncovered by testing:
* starches and sweets cause rapid blood sugar increases
* fat and protein intake with carbohydrates moderate the spike in blood
sugar levels
* higher caloric intake at one time may or may not cause greater spikes, but
may prolong the length of time the blood sugar is elevated (which causes
greater insulin release, with a corresponding drop in blood sugar levels)

Rob