From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:55:36 -0700
--- Susan Wolf Sternberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am wondering
> if I should consult with my
> physician about this.  I never thought I needed to
> before today.  I would
> appreciate feedback.
> Thanks,
> Susan Wolf

I don't see why not, I mean it can't really hurt to
consult your doctor about it. I would think of the
following, though. Because of the issue with nitrogen
from protein, I would think that not having two
kidneys might possibly be an issue (I don't know if it
really is or not). But in this regard, I think that
the Atkins diet and a paleolithic diet would be
slightly different, since as far as I know there is no
restriction on carbohydrates per se in a paleolithic
diet. The idea is to eat natural things that our
paleolithic ancestors would have eaten, but you can
eat lots of fruits and green vegetables, and thus I
don't think there would be any danger of a protein
overload. It may be that an Atkins diet would be more
of a concern in this regard.

From what I remember you can get a nitrogen overload
from eating a diet that has more than like 45%-50% of
calories from protein.

http://sbc.yahoo.com