From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:43:42 -0700
> Jim Swayze wrote:
>
> > If paleo man consumed alcohol at all in the form
> of rotting
> > fruit, it was seasonal and infrequent.

Isn't the argument on alcohol a bit the same as what
could be argued about salt? It's clear that paleo
people consumed some amount of alcohol from fruit,
just as they consumed salt from animal and fish meat,
etc. But clearly there's a difference between eating
some fruit with I don't know, 1% or 2% ethanol? Versus
drinking whiskey that's 30% or whatever.

Also, somebody earlier mentioned the inability of
Asians to detoxify alcohol. If I remember correctly,
the main metabolic pathway for ethanol is ethanol -
acetaldehyde - acetic acid. The genetic mutation that
many Asians have leads to a decrease in aldehyde
dehydrogenase-2, which is the enzyme that converts the
acetaldehyde to acetic acid. I think that about 50% of
Asians lack it to some extent, but maybe 10% or so
really have a bad mutation where they produce
practically none at all.

http://calendar.yahoo.com