From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:35:19 -0500
I'm not celiac, but I am seriously gluten intolerant.  And I'm a big fan
of Protein Power.  (With the exception that they don't seem to be strictly
paleo to the degree they need to be).

I guess where I'm heading with my question about folks' sensitivity and
reactions to whey protein is that, while I don't believe that lactose is
as much an issue, I do believe the foreign proteins in any dairy-based
product ARE an issue.  It makes me seriously question the Eades' inclusion
of whey protein in their leaky gut rehab program when, as Jane points out,
"the dairy protein, casein, is very similar to the prolamin in gluten, and
can affect a celiac person the same way.  In fact, in some nonceliac
people, the casein can cause the erosion of the intestinal cillia just as
the prolamin does in the celiac person."  Well put, Jane.