From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:43:22 -0600
 > Okay, I'm assuming you ate a lesser amount of honey on bread than what you
 > ate when consuming it straight from the bottle.  Maybe you can tolerate
 > small but not large amounts.  Or maybe the problem with honey was masked by
 > the problem with wheat.  Or maybe the honey you're now eating comes from
 > some pollen that you're allergic to.
 >
 > Theola

Another thing to consider is that honey is an antibiotic. Concentrated
sugar in any form will kill off bacteria just like salt will, which is
why sugar can be used as a preservative, just like salt. I have
seen many people complain of honey, raisins or dates making
their gums burn when they eat them, and I have even experienced
this myself off and on with these same foods.

I figure if your body is in a state of repair and certain parts are
more sensitive because of this, then putting concentrated sugar
on them would cause it to burn much like putting salt on an
open wound (note the speculation on my part).

Anyway, as far as the antibiotic properties of honey, it seems
like I read something not too long ago about it working better
on burn victims than manufactured antibiotics.

Personally, I eat small amounts of honey and think that it
is ok, but because it does have antibiotic properties, I would
tend to think it is something that shouldn't be overdone.

 > LOL....I didn't mean to alarm or sadden you, Jean-Claude.  The statement
 > should be read in *context* of the entire message about why I believe
 > nutritional supplements are valid paleo discussion.  I wasn't slamming the
 > marvels of life.  Expressed another way, life/food is a series of chemical
 > bases, interactions, and reactions.  I would suppose you're somewhat
 > analytical (as opposed to mystical) about food, too, when you eat specific
 > foods (for their molecular nutrient composition) that address your adrenal
 > problems. :-)

As far as paleo though, our knowledge of what is in food as far
as vitamins or minerals etc., is fairly recent event.

Outside of medicinal herbs or something eaten for it's effect
on the mind, I can't imagine a paleo person eating anything
except to fulfill hunger. It just happens that what they ate
back then most likely had a lot more vitamins and minerals
in it.

That doesn't mean that we can't eat to fulfill certain
nutritional requirements, however, since we have
more understanding about vitamins and minerals.

Personally, I used to take tons of vitamins and I threw
them all out except for B-12, some digestive enzymes,
and I just started eating bee pollen. Personally, I feel
better without them, and not spending all the money
for them is kind of nice, too.

I prefer to get all of my vitamins out of food now, and drink
fresh carrot juice combined with the juice of a couple of
other vegetables (and sometimes wheatgrass), every
morning. I also do eat certain foods to get certain
nutrients out of it. My eating of Flax seed or raw eggs
would be an example of this.

Yeah, paleo people probably didn't have a juicer, but
as mentioned above, they had access to a lot higher
quality, *wild* food.

Jay
www.roadtowellsville.com

If a paleo person jumped off a bridge, would you jump
off of a bridge.