From:
Alex Shvartsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:15:46 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:
 > I would like tips on buying a dehydrator.  WHat kind did you get and
 > how do you like it?

I bought mine on E-bay for around $40 (with shipping) It is an American
Harvest.
I like that it has a temp control - you need 145 degrees for meat, some
others do not have this feature (Ronco) so the ideal temp may not be reached.
I do wish it had a timer with an auto shut-off. it takes about 6-7 hours for
4 trays.  I have to time it just right. That means I make jerky on my days
off. It is also expandable.  I am thinking of getting more trays.  You can
find really good ones for over $100, but this was my first one so I did not
want to make a larger investment.  It is good for now. So go to E-bay and see
what is available and what the different brands go for. You may also want to
try an Internet search once you narrowed it down to a brand/model you like
and see if any place sells it direct.

BTW was it difficult to find a butcher to process the beef and venison for
you. What do they charge for this?