From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:45:21 +1000
>Kerin O'Dea took some Aboriginal people out for 7 weeks >where they
reverted to a traditional lifestyle (hunting and >gathering) and reversed
most of the diabetes indices that the >people showed.
the O'Dea study is one of the two references Cordian uses. How such a study
becomes a reference to what aborigines actually ate i have no idea.

>She states that the diet was low-fat (I'm not sure that she >actually
measured it to make sure it was really low fat).
my memory is that the low-carb aspect was emphasised more, but I might be
wrong.

>Mind you this was only for 7 weeks so whether it was
>representative of a normal year then I would say no.
its relevance is about zero for our purposes.

>You have mentioned in previous posts about the Bogong >moths which are
definitely high in fat and also correctly state >IIRC that they lasted for a
few months.
what's IIRC??
a few months..no i think only about a month.

>I'm starting to suspect that the diet may have been quite high >in fat at
certain times of year and then maybe
>short of fat for the rest.  Fat was definitely highly prized.
i think you cant possibly starve if u get 100 grams of fat. i dont see that
its too hard for skilled hunters to get this:  the most reliable source for
aborigines i believe was the river system, with the high fat perch and cod,
and eels.

>Maybe this possible seesawing effect limited the accumulation >of arterial
deposits (if you believe that fat causes heart >disease - which I am still
not sure about).
undoubtedly paleos/indigenous had shortages of fat at times, due to bad
weather etc. then the weaker ones just died if ti was prolonged.  Gregg
plans to test out this variable caloric intake and then report back if he
made through alive or not.

andrew