From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:25:54 +1100
At 10:09 +1000 20/1/03, Phosphor wrote:

>>If paleo people eat the whole carcass (or even if they
>>preferentially eat organ meats over muscle meats), their
>>SFA:MUFA:PUFA lipid intake would be in the order of 3:3:1.
>
>the carcass of which animal Richie?

That was calculated from figures for a kangaroo.

I'd be very interested to see figures for other types of animals.

My guess is that this ratio holds for most medium-sized land mammals
while for smaller mammals and birds, the ratio would tend towards
less SFA (2:3:2) and for large land mammals, the ratio would tend
more towards SFA (3:2:1).

Figures for whole of carcass nutrient profiles are very hard to
find. Or even data for organ meats of wild game animals.

At 10:45 +1000 20/1/03, Phosphor wrote:
>is it correct that kidney fat is the highest percentage of SFA?
>did paleo man eat it or not in your view?

Yes, highly saturated at around 60% SFA, from memory. Mostly palmitic
and stearic fatty acids. And yes, paleo people would have eaten it.
The adipose fat deposits would have comprised about 6-10% of the fat
content of the carcass.

It is my opinion that paleo humans would have eaten nearly every
portion of an animal carcass, except perhaps for a portion of the
flesh in very lean carcasses.

 ...R.