NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patty Majerik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:12:34 -0500
Good to know, thanks.  Here is a recipe for white bread (Italian) that
I've been making, it turns out great and yummy and is SUPER EASY!

Put in your machine in this order:

1 1/2 cups water
4 1/4 cups bread flour (I use King Arthur)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons instant yeast OR 1 package active dry yeast

Put water in first.  Dump the flour in evenly across the water.  Sprinkle
the sugar and then the salt evenly over the flour.  Make a small well in
the middle and put the yeast in there (don't let it touch the water).
Pour half the olive oil on the flour to the right side of the well (not
touching the yeast) and the other half to the left.  Set timer for basic
cycle (3 1/2 hours for my machine) and you are done!

Tips:  spray the kneading blades lightly with cooking spray before adding
the water to help alleviate sticking in the bread.  Measure all
ingredients very accurately.  Instant yeast makes the bread rise higher
and have a lighter texture than the active dry yeast.  It is harder to
find but worth it if you are going to bake bread regularly.  This recipe
still works very nicely with the active dry yeast too.