BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:53:47 -0500

Do you guys have access to Sanborn Fire Insurance maps there? This is the best way I know to get at the physical structures and their evolution. By comparing them year to year, you can see how a parcel changed over time. Once you get the legend figured out, they are incredibly detailed, right down to the number of windows on a façade, where the doors are, the material of the roof, etc. They were producing maps for Raleigh in the 1890s, so they surely were well-detailed for NYC during that decade.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.    "Oh joy!  Rapture!  Now
Raleigh Historic            I have a brain!"
Districts Commission                   - Scarecrow
919/890-3678