From:
Tammy Carrithers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 11:53:49 -0500
From: "Jim Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 12:32 PM
Subject: [RPLIST] research participants needed

> SEEKING RESEARCH PARTICIPANTS WITH RETINITIS PIGMENTOSA
>
> http://www.edinboro.edu/~bsiple/research.htm
>

> My name is Barbara Siple and I need your assistance. I am a clinical
psychology doctoral student with Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP). My dissertation
research at Fielding Graduate Institute examines coping responses and
adjustment of adults with RP.  Much research has focused on adjustment to
congenital blindness or to sudden loss of vision.  However, little research
has examined adjustment to the gradual vision loss associated with RP.  This
study is designed to expand the knowledge base about individuals with low
and declining vision.

> If you are 18 years of age or older, and have been diagnosed with primary
RP, please visit my website or contact me to obtain a packet of materials.
Individuals with associated conditions such as Usher's, Bardet-Biedl, or
Senior-Loke syndromes, or Abe-Talipoproteinemia are not eligible to
participate because primary RP is the focus of this particular research
study.

>  This study will take you less than 30 minutes. There are three
instruments to complete.  Participation is voluntary. Your anonymity is
guaranteed. Numeric codes will be used instead of names in order to protect
the identities of research participants.

> There are potentially several benefits as a result of your participation
in this research study. First, by sharing your experiences related to RP,
you may feel personally satisfied to know that you will be contributing to
the relatively scant body of knowledge about RP. Second, little is known
about the impact of progressive vision loss. It is anticipated that results
of this study will enlarge the literature on coping responses and adjustment
to RP. Finally, on a practical level, the results may help professionals in
the field of visual impairment and blindness to make appropriate
interventions, recommendations, and referrals for individuals with RP.

http://www.edinboro.edu/~bsiple/research.htm, or contact me as follows: