AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:12:14 -0500
Since I'm part of the team proving the comprehensive library assistive
technology solution, called the AccessInfo System, I felt obligated to
weigh in on this one. We've looked at this question in some depth.

The sticky, inexpensive large print solution does work. However, even
moderately heavy use can cause the caps to fall off. They tend to need
replacement.

We considered the Big Keys keyboards for the AccessInfo System.
However, since they don't have a convention layout or straightforward,
familiar layout of the function keys, we've decided against them. They
are very confusing and slow productivity if you're at all used to a
standard keyboard.

We're going with a large print keyboard. We believe the functionality
and durability are what is needed in library situations, especially
where frequent use by a wide range of people with disabilities is
desired.

Please take a look at the AccessInfo System and the selection of
keyboads available on the market at http://www.assistivetechnologies.com
We aren't wedded to any particular hardware, software or approach. What
we deliver is accessibility.

Hope this helps!
Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Access for All
(630) 661-9062

www.infogrip.com

> It sounds like Valerie has a great suggestion, but you might also
want to
> consider Big Keys keyboard available at Infogrip.
>
> Donna Mae Wilson
> Assistive Technology Coordinator
> Western Carolina Center
> Morganton, NC 28655
> 828-433-2668

New
> York.  I have been providing assistive technology demonstrations for
about 9
> years and I am legally blind.  I have seen the inexpensive method work
> rather well.
>
> The catalogs to check out are available from:
>
> LS&S GROUP (800) 468-4789
>
> ILA (INDEPENDENT LIVING AIDS) (800) 537-2118
>
> You can call and request a catalog or they can probably give you info
over
> the phone.
>
> One of the large print keyboard companies that I am familiar with is:
>
> DATA CAL (KEYBOARD ENHANCEMENTS)
> (800) 453-7937
>
> I hope this information is helpful to you.
>
> Valerie Lewis
> Administrator of Outreach Services
> Long Island Talking Book Library
> Suffolk Cooperative Library System
> (631) 286-1600, x1365
Beatty
> Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 9:37 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Large Print Keyboards
>

> Hi everyone,
>
> It's capital budget request time here at our library, and I was
> wondering if anyone would care to comment and/or offer advice on the
> best kind of large print keyboard to purchase. I am interested in
> finding one that is of particular use to individuals who have contrast
> issues and/or low vision.  At this point in time, our library is just
> beginning to develop its services for patrons with special needs, and
> any information you could provide would be very gratefully accepted.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Lindsay-Erin Beatty

Audrey J. Gorman
Access for All