Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:24:08 EDT
I subscribe to Ray Peat's newsletter and have read a few of his books.  While
I don't necessarily agree with everything he writes, I do find him a
fascinating writer and many of his suggestions (coconut oil, increase saturated fat
and minimize polyunsaturates) have helped me personally.  I am not saying that
everyone would be helped by these suggestions, but they have helped me.
Anyway, the latest newsletter speaks of the harmful effects of grains and criticizes
the American Diabetic Association's high grain/legume protocol.  In his
books, he seems to view fruit and vegetables as preferable carbs.  Anyway, within
the article, he states "If protein is eaten without carbohydrate, it will
stimulate insulin secretion, lowering blood sugar and activating the stress
response, leading to the secretion of adrenalin, cortisol, growth hormone, prolactin,
and other hormones."  I e-mailed him to ask if this purported stress response
would occur with a fat/protein no carb meal as well.  He responded that it
would, but that the fat would blunt this effect.  Anyone have thoughts on this
stress response to protein theory?  I can't imaging paleolithic man turning
down a nice large hunk of meat because he didn't have sufficient fruits and
veggies to go with it.  Or perhaps a stress response as described above is
desirable for survival?  Any thoughts?