Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:30:47 EST

Dear Listmates:
My sincere appreciation to the 11 people who responded to my inquiry.  What I
discovered was that the 3 people who had already experienced the test
verified the description that the dr's office provided.

Several respondents requested that I explain the test, so...
First, the prep is simple enough...no food after midnight.
I am due at the dr's office at 8:30 AM.
At that time I will have a battery pack & recording equipment attached to me &
 then I swallow the camera capsule.  I must then wait 2 more hours before I
can drink anything and 2 additional hours before I can eat.  That will be
difficult for me. (Low blood sugar...)
I will have to wear a large belt that holds the battery pack and the receiver
for the
camera for 8 hours that day, but I can leave the dr's office during that
time.
At the end of the 8 hour period I return to the dr, the pack is removed, &
the test is over.
I am taking this test as part of a research study.  My GI asked me to
participate. The study's objective is to investigate damage in long term
Celiacs who had not been diagnosed & therefore had not been GF for years. I
was first diagnosed as an infant (late 1940s).  I was declared cured a few
years later!  I was again diagnosed with CD a few years ago & finally really
learned about CD & the GF diet!  Formerly, I had always been told that this
was a disease of young children & if you survived, you were now fine.
(...funny thing about ALL of the GI problems & illness I have had all through
my life!)
I hope this answers the questions of those who indicated an interest.  I feel
so much better knowing what to expect now that I have heard from people who
have had this test.  Some of the procedures I have had are not what I have
expected!!
Once again my appreciation to those who took the time to write to me and to
explain their experiences in detail.  This list is certainly an invaluable
support for those of us dealing with celiac.
Sincerely,
Kathy C