From:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:18:37 -0800

I had heard back almost immediately from
Mayacamas.  We discussed their hydrolyzation
process and the ELISA testing of their products.
After a long and thorough discussion, I feel
comfortable using the gravy packet that I
initially inquired about.  BTW - It is the BEST
tasting GF gravy mix I have tasted yet (I have no
financial interest in the company).  I know of at
least one good friend of mine (also a celiac) who
probably would not try the product, because there
had been a source of gluten in the initial
process (regardless of the fact that the end
product had undetectable traces of gluten); but
this same person will not have distilled vinegar
either.  We all know it is a decision each of us
has to make for ourselves.  I feel extremely
comfortable with Mayacamas' response and am
extremely satisfied with their product.  The
specific mix I inquired about does not appear on
the website as yet, but they hope this will
change within a month.  I look forward to trying
their other gf products!

Also, one listmember sent me a response, which I
found interesting, as follows:

One of the major remaining issues in establishing

a scientifically valid GF diet
is the fact that simply looking at whether gluten

was used in the production of a
food is wholly inadequate to determine whether
gluten is actually in the final
food product. Processing chemically changes
substances so that they are no longer
the same substance. Apparently the hydrolyzation
process changes and/or removes
the gluten, at least down to the sensitivity
level of the test. It sounds to me
like these people know what they are doing.
Tom

http://mailplus.yahoo.com