EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Stewart, Ron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:27:55 -0700
Good afternoon,

While the rational may be legitimate, it is not a valid argument for a
publicly funded program, and it may also not be valid for long. As I
have learned in my life as a technology geek you never know what the
next twist of technology will make accessible that was not accessible
before. It may be necessary to provide the student with a tactile
supplement to the images, but given the quality of the tactile images we
can currently produce it can really cut down on the need for verbiage to
convey the required information. We can also do things we sound that we
could never do before, directional audio from seven different sources
can provide an amazing amount of information.

I have had similar discussions with some of our faculty, and at times
like this often the problem needs to be elevated to a higher level of
discussion to be resolved. I am yet to find any web based content, I am
sure there is some, that can not be adequately conveyed in non-visual
means. It just takes some work, sometimes a lot of work. We are
currently working on a an optical physics text for a student, and while
it has been a tremendous challenge even the most visual of content we
have been able to explain working in cooperation with the faculty from
the physics department.

Ron Stewart