From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:45:12 -0500
Greetings Susan--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan S. Hays" <[log in to unmask]>

> I have a Gateway Pentium 3 1000.  I installed a new hard drive a couple of
> weeks ago.  I now have ended up installing a new motherboard.  Could someone
> please give me directions for reformatting.  Since I have a new motherboard,
> I just want a clean slate.  I want to get rid of everything and start over.
> I tried using my start up disk but when I get to the a:\ prompt and type in
> format c:, it won't let me do that.  I just want to get rid of the WindowsMe
> I had installed on my new hard drive and just start from scratch with my new
> motherboard.

When the WindowsME or Windows 98 boot disk is used, it creates a virtual disk
or RAM drive where it stores additional DOS commands.  Watch the boot process
to see what drive letter is assigned to the RAM drive.  Change to that drive letter
and enter dir format.* to see if the command is available there.  In any case, if you
truly want to start from scratch, it would be advisable to use fdisk to delete any
existing partitions, then use it to create a new partition(s).

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert

---

                     visit our download web page at: