CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:16:20 -0500

In <l03130304b1170d761a88@[203.1.72.192]>, on 02/23/98
   at 10:35 PM, John Macgregor <[log in to unmask]> said:

>>This has been pretty easy.
>>I eat all the above, in the form of liver and kidney, chicken and fish
>>(much closer to the fat profiles of our 'ancestral' meats than today's
>>bred-up, grain-fed, hormone-enriched cattle), salads, nuts, eggs,
>>potatoes and yams...I could go on. It took five minutes to adjust to,

John,

Like you, I find the celiac diet relatively easy to adjust to from the
diabetic diet I finally came up with twenty years before.  Basically, I
discovered fresh produce --hence minimally processed, as you say. I get
the majority of carbs from produce and actually eat little rice. (Except
for wild rice, I just don't enjoy it.)

Type 1 or Type 2?  Insulin, pills, or both?

What are the approximate proportions of carbohydrate, protein, and fat in
your diet? For reference the standard ADA diet has been 60%, 20%, 20% for
some years now.

I'd guess that you're actually burning fats for energy, hence that your
blood lipids have improved. Have you had them measured? Any liver tests to
watch the liver?

My other concern with this diet and the "lo-carb" one is the higher
protein content and the burden this places on the kidney. (High protein
means high osmotic pressure that may damage the delicate filtration system
of the kidneys.) Kidneys are a frequent diabetic problem, after all. I've
been unable to find a study yet that tests either diet in this way. Do you
know of any?

Finally, your diet avoids legumes, a low glycemic index food wonderful for
the diabetic diet.  Why?
                                               Kemp Randolph
                                               Long Island